Re: problem showing tempo

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: problem showing tempo
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:55:34 +0100

One good reason is if you want different versions of the score in the PDF and
in the MIDI, for example if you want to expand all repeats in the MIDI or
if you want to workaround the limitation that the maximum number of
MIDI tracks (corresponding to Staff contexts in LilyPond) is limited.
Then, you certainly want a simple way to tell that a \score block should
only result in MIDI output.

The only inconsistency IMHO, is that you don't need to specify a \layout block by default in a \score to get PDF output. Also, this "feature" is well described in the
section on MIDI output.

  /Mats

Bertalan Fodor wrote:
Why is layout block needed in the score block if there is also a midi block? If you remove the midi block, you get the PDF. It is very inconsistent behaviour. There was a discussion years ago about this, I don't remember its end.

Bert

Mats Bengtsson írta:
Your \score{...} block contains a \midi but no \layout, so LilyPond will only
produce a MIDI file, no PDF file for your example. Are you sure that you
didn't look at an old version of the PDF? When I add a \layout{} block, I
certainly get a metronome mark in the PDF.

Regards

  /Mats

Ole Schmidt wrote:
Hi,
I'am a beginner and need some help:

When I put a \tempo 4 = 72 in my score, I don't see it back in the pdf. I assume that its overwritten by some \override command. But which one?

thank you for a hint,

best

ole

        Mats Bengtsson