.ps and .pdf filesize

From: Michael Murphy
Subject: .ps and .pdf filesize
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 01:45:15 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I'm new to LP, but I'm running version 2.10.7 under Cygwin on a Windows XP
machine. I obtained the build through the cygwin setup.exe from a mirrors
server.

I have a file that outputs as five pages of music with a piano staff and lyrics.
However, the filesize comes out in .ps at 1MB and in .pdf at ~900kB. I am
wondering if there is a satisfactory way to reduce this filesize. I noticed
there are no command-line arguments that accomplish this. Should I install a TeX
system, get DVI output and then dvips -> ps2pdf it myself? Or would I achieve
better results using the Windows version available from the website?