Re: thoughts

From: stk
Subject: Re: thoughts
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 01:50:00 -0500 (EST)

As regards allowing numbers in identifier-names:

> It might be possible to enable numbers, though.  I would welcome an
> analysis.

For lyrics, I rely on the fact that identifier-names cannot contain
numbers:

   I  = \markup { C  }
   Vs = \markup { G7 }

and later, in lyricmode, things like

   | \Vs2 \I2 |

I know this is very unconventional.  Does anybody else use identifiers
in any situation where he/she relies on the fact that identifier-names
cannot contain numbers?

(I use lyrics for typesetting chords because I want to have the use of
completely arbitrary symbols and underlining to express, succinctly, what
I mean.  Obviously, the resulting music is not for external distribution.)

-- Tom

Orm Finnendahl escreveu:
> P.S.: Maybe one thing: Apart from suggesting to rewrite lilyponds
> parser from scratch it would be a tremendous thing if lilypond could
> get rid of some TeX related restrictions, especially the limitation to
> alphabetic characters in definitions. It would make things so much
> easier being able to use underscores and numbers in definitions! Is it
> really that hard to do (is lilypond really still using the TeX parser
> and does that actually mean you have to write the parser from
> scratch)?

numbers and underscores do make things easier to read, but it makes things
hard to parse. Consider:

  c4_\staccato_\markup { bla }

does this reference \staccato or \staccato_ ?

It might be possible to enable numbers, though.  I would welcome an analysis.

And no, lilypond is not in any way related to TeX