Re: Absolute Spanish Beginners

From: Daniel Tonda Castillo
Subject: Re: Absolute Spanish Beginners
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:29:38 -0600

David Bobroff wrote:
Pierre Abbat wrote:
On Wednesday 27 December 2006 18:21, Daniel Tonda Castillo wrote:
Claves/Llaves
Professional musicians in Mexico usually refer to "Clave de Sol" meaning G clef. In popular slang, people refer to the "Llave de Sol", meaning G Clef. So as to not alienate anyone, initially I thought that including both terms would encompass a broader spectrum. Far was I to realize that spanish has so many variants and there may be other terms that apply more exactly.

I suppose one is "key" and one is "clef", but as they are both cognates of "clef", which is which?

Métrica de compás

Armaduras mayores y menores

Valores rítmicos

Sostenidos y bemoles

Some months ago Eudy was teaching an introduction to music notation and used this term. I took it to mean "sustained", and called sharp "diesis". I later looked it up in her dictionary (general, not musical) and found that "diesis" and "sostenido" both mean "sharp" and "sostenuto" is what I was thinking of.

From the "Diccionario Harvard de Música", México (translated):
Sostenido /Germ. Kreuz; Fr. Diese; Eng. Sharp; It. Diesis. The # symbol indicates the elevation of the tone of a note by a half step...

Sostenuto, sostenendo /It./ To sustain a note longer than the nominal value or beyond it and thus, reducing the tempo. Andante sostenuto means slow andante.

No se preocupe aún por los naturales/becuadros. Explicaremos esto cuando
lleguemos a las armaduras.

I say drop "naturales". "Becuadros" is well known, at least to me who learned the French word first, and can't be confused with anything else.

Also from the Diccionario Harvard de Música (transl):
Natural. (1) That note which is neither sharp nor flat. i.e. G natural, in opposition to G sharp or G flat. (2) The sign (natural sign), which indicates the natural note in the case where the note would otherwise be altered, be it by means of a key signature or a previous accidental.
I haven't been following this thread so forgive me if I'm throwing in ignorant input, but here goes:

I learned Spanish musical terms as a result of playing in an orchestra in Spain for a year. I recall that "natural" was the word I heard being used. As for "bemoles" and "becuardros"; are they actually written that way, or is it; b-moles (round B's) and b-cuadros [cuadratos?] (square B's)?

The word for "sharp" that was used was "sostenido".

-David