Re: Very Beginner's Guide

From: Pierre Abbat
Subject: Re: Very Beginner's Guide
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 23:35:05 -0500

On Sunday 24 December 2006 19:39, Manuel wrote:
> So, would the following be a clear way to put it?
>

> Chapter One.
>

> If you are using a Mac, open a new LilyPond window.
>
> If you are working with Linux open a new file in a plain txt editor
> (e.g. kwrite music.ly; music.ly; emacs music ly).

The second "music" should have "vi " before it.

> Then write this inside:
>

> { c'  d'  e'  f'  g'  a'  b'  c' ' }
>

> With a Mac, save the file and then select "Typeset file" from the
> "Compile" menu.

You have to save the file in Linux as well.

> In Linux, run "lilypond music.ly" at a shell prompt (not inside your
> vi or emacs session). Although emacs is a (plain text) editor, it is
> by no means a plain (text editor)!

The comment about emacs was just a comment and wasn't meant to go into the
guide. There may be a way to run lilypond from inside emacs, but not knowing
emacs, I don't know how.

> A small window will open, where you can follow the proceedings, and
> then a ".pdf" document will appear, with this result:

The TIFF file is black on transparent and showed as a black rectangle in
Kmail. I had to edit it in the Gimp to read it. If it's readable in what
you're writing, that's not a problem.

Pierre