Re: midi2ly doesn't respect the --key

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: midi2ly doesn't respect the --key
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 05:36:41 -0800

yota moteuchi wrote:
When I try to extract a piece from a midi file which is in f major (1 flat) I do

midi2ly --key=-1 "myfile.mid"

the resulting file have indeed a nice \key f \major printed on top but
all the 'bes' are noted as 'ais'
The problem being that a text replacement mess up the relative notation

e ais c => a bes c (with one octave shift)

I'm not surprised; MIDI files only specifies the pitch number, not the actual note (i.e. bes and ais are both note 58). midi2ly is not intelligent enough to pick notes out of the same key. This is not a bug; it is a missing feature. I doubt that this will ever be implemented; I think the best way to improve our importing abilities is to work on the musicxml importing.

Sorry,
- Graham