Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question

From: Jonathan Henkelman
Subject: Re: Constructive Criticism and a Question
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:29:58 +0000 (UTC)

--- Brett Duncan wrote:

> > \tuplet 3:2 {c4 c8 c c4}
> >
> > should be printed as
> >
> > |----- 3 ----|
> >       __
> >  |   |  |   |
> > X   X  X   X
> >
> > or as
> >
> > |- 3 -| |- 3 -|
> >
> >  |   |\  |\  |
> >  |   |   |   |
> > X   X   X   X

If we are going to worry about seperating the music from the typesetting, then
it is worth observing that these two are equivalent musically.  It doesn't
matter which way the typesetter chooses as it's default as they are both
valid.  If a more advanced user wants to change the default behaviour they can
do so using \setTupletSpanner.  The beginner user is going to get something
meaningful and what they had intended musically.

I would propose the default implementation tries to figure it out from the
length of the first note in the tuplet musical expression.  It seems there is
president for this approach (although I am to new to remember where I saw
it...).  In that case it would probably pick the first example.

Jonathan