Re: Scheme question on strict substitution

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Scheme question on strict substitution
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:15:27 +0100

In my understanding, the difference between \override and \tweak is
that with \override, you can only specify the "time" at which the setting
should be active, i.e. if you have several notes or whatever that appear
simultaneous within the same context, then you can not affect them individually, just all of them together. With \tweak, on the other hand, you can control each object separately, for example to modify one note head out of several in a chord
or modifying one articulation out of several on the same note.

   /Mats

Trevor Bača wrote:
I guess I've never really had a good grasp on how \tweak works; can
anybody explain why the example above doesn't work with \overrides but
does work with \tweaks?

Section 9.3.5 "Objects connected to the input" says "In some cases, it
is possible to take a short-cut for tuning graphical objects. For
objects that result directly from a piece of the input, you can use
the \tweak function ...". But I've never really understood what this
means. What does it mean for an objected to "be connected to the
input"? Are all objects connected to input? Objects only come about
from input, right?

Instead, of understanding "connectedness to input" as being behind
\tweak, I've instead mentally adopted the idea that \tweak is
necessary (instead of \override) when you want to separately modify
the attributes of two or more objects that instantiate at the *same
musical moment*. 9.5.3 gives the example of \tweaking noteheads in a
chord, and the noteheads in a chord certainly instantiate at the same
musical moment. Likewise for the nested tuplets in the example here:
the nested tuplets instantiate at the same musical moment, so that
seems to trigger the need for \tweak instead of \override.

Is the understanding I've worked out for myself correct, ie, that we
use \tweak when we want to modify objects that instantiate at the same
musical moment? And, if so, maybe the idea of "sameness of musical
moment" can replace the idea of "connectedness to input" in 9.3.5.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology