Re: Lilypond and TextMate

From: Jacob Rus
Subject: Re: Lilypond and TextMate
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:53:23 -0500

Christian Hitz wrote:
Hi Jacob,

I used your Lilypond bundle for TextMate. While working an a few songs,
I made some refinements to the bundle. See the attached patch.

Thanks for your work.

Christian

Thanks. I've applied most of the stuff in that patch, though I just did it manually. Once we get some more snippets made, perhaps we can make a screencast... that might get some more response from this list ;) (you're the first to notice my original note as far as I can tell).

For those Mac Lilypond users who haven't tried TextMate, I really can't recommend it enough. And I'll reiterate what I originally said: I think TextMate is really ideal for dealing with languages like lilypond that have somewhat different needs from most programming languages. The snippets, the incredibly flexible syntax highlighting, and the ability to integrate commands like updating code to the most recent lilypond version, engraving, or creating midi files, make TextMate even more useful than the venerable emacs, in my opinion (and far prettier on the Mac ;). Best of all, customizing TextMate is *really easy*, so even newbies can mold it to their needs.

Cheers,
Jacob Rus