Re: Breathe sign in lyrics messes up line spacing

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Breathe sign in lyrics messes up line spacing
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:24:32 +0200

It turns out that you irregular spacing has nothing to do with the breathe signs.
The problem was that your setting of
\override Lyrics.VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-0 . 0)
in \ScoreSettings only applied to the first line of lyrics (I was actually a bit
surprised that it applied to any of the Lyrics contexts at all).
Please read in the manual on how to do settings that apply to all Lyrics contexts
in a score, for example. Then, you will rather come up with something like
\layout {
   \context {
       \Score
       skipBars = ##t
   }
 \context {
   \Lyrics
   \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-0 . 0)
as a replacement for your current \ScoreSettings. Then, you will see that the only thing that affects the vertical distance between the lyric lines, is the comma signs
that extend slightly below the base line of the font.

   /Mats

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 26. Oktober 2006 09:47 schrieben Sie:
I can't figure out exactly what you mean. Please post a small but complete
(i.e. runnable) example.

Okay, .ly and .pdf file attached. I want all lyrics line to have the same small line spacing as the first two stanzas have.

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
Hi,
A while ago, I posted to this list about how to include a breathing sing
into the lyrics (not into the staff), and Mats gave me the solution:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-11/msg00532.html

However, I'm still fighting with the issue (in lilypond 2.8.7), because
that solution causes a rather large margin below that one lyrics line (it
seems that for the calculation of line spacing the \raise is simply
ignored).

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks a lot,
Reinhold

PS: Sorry that I can't attach the test file to this posting, as the gmane
webinterface does not allow you to attach files...

\header { title = "Breathe sign in lyrics"
        composer = "Notice the different line spacing in the lyrics!"
}

ScoreSettings = {
        \set Score.skipBars = ##t
        \override Lyrics.VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-0 . 0)
}

music = \relative c' { f  f f f | f f f f | f f f f | f f f f | f f f f | f f f
f | }

VerseI = \lyricmode {
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah }

VerseII = \lyricmode {
blah blah blah blah blah \markup{ ach, \raise #1.0 \musicglyph #"scripts.rcomma" } blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah }

\score {
        \context ChoirStaff <<
                \ScoreSettings
                \context Staff = women <<
                        \context Voice = sopranos { \voiceOne << \music >> }

                \context Lyrics = sopranosI \lyricsto sopranos \VerseI
                \context Lyrics = sopranosII \lyricsto sopranos \VerseII
                \context Lyrics = sopranosIII \lyricsto sopranos \VerseI
                \context Lyrics = sopranosIV \lyricsto sopranos \VerseII

                \context Staff = men <<
                        \context Voice = tenors { \voiceOne << \music >> }

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology