RE: Literature?

From: Palmer, Ralph
Subject: RE: Literature?
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:37:13 -0400

Greetings, Stewart -

I have a book on notation which covers a lot of ground, and which I can
highly recommend:

Music notation, a manual of modern practice.
Read, Gardner.
Boston, Crescendo Publishers, 1972.
ISBN : 087597080X.

The book is the most thorough I've seen, goes deeply into various
aspects of notation, and is quite readable. I used to do a lot of hand
notating, and I found the book valuable. LilyPond does a good job of
documenting the process of notation, but I still refer back to Read
frequently, usually either to clarify something in LilyPond or to
clarify something I come across in music I'm currently playing. I still
enjoy notating by hand, and regard it as a valuable skill for a
musician.

Ralph
Ralph Palmer
Energy/Administrative Coordinator