Re: To hide a time signature

From: Marcus Macauley
Subject: Re: To hide a time signature
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 04:48:03 -0400

Mats,

I wrote:
I'm trying to hide the first time signature, but display any which come later. So here's a snippet:

\version "2.9.17"
{
\once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'break-visibility = ##(#f #f #f)
\time 4/4 c'1 \time 3/4 c'2.
}

The tweak is based on this page:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/TimeSignature.html

You replied:
If you had followed the link at the bottom of that page to "item-interface", you would have found the solution much quicker. Always remember that the information presented for each graphical object is just a subset of the full documentation of all the available properties. To see it all, you need to browse through all the links to the
interfaces.

Indeed, I discovered those links soon after I posted. But the particular link you mention, "item-interface", doesn't seem to offer much help here. It mentions the "break-visibility" setting, but so does the TimeSignature page itself, and it didn't take me long to find it on the TimeSignature page. True, the "item-interface" page explains it at greater length, though.

What I still don't understand is the "stencil" setting (which Kieren suggested as an alternative), which I now see is listed on the "grob-interface" page (linked from the bottom of the TimeSignature page), but there it appears under "Internal properties" and not under "User settable properties". That seems to imply that "stencil" is not "user settable", though Kieren's example suggests that it is. Also, whether or not "stencil" is "user settable", the "grob-interface" page offers no clue as to what values/syntax it might take. The entry reads:

stencil (unknown)
   The symbol to print.

BUT, now I notice something I didn't see before. At the bottom of the list of "user settable properties" is:

transparent (boolean)
   This makes the grob invisible.

"transparent": That sounds awfully familiar! It's wonder I couldn't see it before -- it's like I was looking right through it.

Sure enough, the following line works like a charm:

\once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t

Seeing as "grobs" are ubiquitous in Lilypond (judging from, e.g., the list at the bottom of
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/grob_002dinterface.html
), I imagine I won't have too much trouble the next time I want to hide something.

(My "stencil" query remains unresolved, but it's not so pressing.)

Thanks, Mats and Kieren, for the help.

Marcus