Sponsorship--Merge ties from multiple voices into one voice?

From: Steve D
Subject: Sponsorship--Merge ties from multiple voices into one voice?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:19:39 -0600

Hello all-- I'm wondering if the following would be possible as a
sponsored feature, if it cannot be done somehow already.

I mainly write piano music. Often there are temporarily two or more
voices in a measure or two, which then merge into one voice soon after.
Sometimes (quite often, actually) two or more of the voices end with
ties which (should) extend to and end at a single-voice chord: separate
voices which resolve into a chord which is tied to the previous
individual voices.

I know that it is possible for the ties of the primary voice (the voice
that was in effect before one or more new voices were temporarily
created) to cross the boundary of the simultaneous music (multiple
voices) on either side of the << or >> boundaries of the simultaneous
music.)

However, would it be possible to *merge* the pending ties of all voices
with some command, so that all pending ties from any voices could be
directed to a specific voice (by default, the primary voice that was in
effect before the multiple-voice section)?

This feature would be extremely handy for me, and I'm guessing would be
gratefully regarded by other composers and notators of polyphonic
instruments as well.
:-)

Best wishes,

Steve Doonan
Portales, New Mexico US
Forget and forgive. This is not difficult when properly
understood.  It means forget inconvenient duties, then forgive
yourself for forgetting. By rigid practice and stern
determination, it comes easy.  -Mark Twain