Re: Capo chords

From: aabb
Subject: Re: Capo chords
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 00:28:51 +0000

I achieve this by creating 2 parts, so that the transposed chords appear
below the original ones. I've seen this format used in a number of
published song books. You can create the "Capo 3", or similar text using
the \set instrument command. This puts "Capo 3" to the far left of the
first system, aligned with the transposed chords. I include an example
below. This works for Lilypond version 2.8. I can't vouch for older
versions. The command in the \layout block is needed because, by
default, ChordNames parts don't seem to print the instrument name.

Hope this helps.

melody = \relative c'' {a4 g f e | f1}
chordsPart = \chordmode {f2 c:7 | f1}

\score {
    <<
        \new ChordNames {
            \chordsPart
        }
        \new ChordNames {
            \set instrument = #"Capo 3"
            \transpose f d {\chordsPart}
        }
        \new Staff {
            \key f \major
            \melody
        }

    \layout {
        \context {\ChordNames \consists Instrument_name_engraver }