Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 46, Issue 59

From: Henrik Frisk
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 46, Issue 59
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:42:18 +0200

Sorry for not editing the Subject in my reply...

Trevor Ba?a <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 9/20/06, Henrik Frisk <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Still working on edge-text adjustments ...
> > >
> > > In the snippet below, I've got exactly what I want -- thanks to much
> > > help from the list -- with the one exception that the padding of the
> > > two vertical spanners is off-center relative to each piece of edge
> > > text. Notice that the solid horizontal line runs into the (lefthand
> > > sides) of the "b" and "c" edge text (though the righthand sides are
> > > nicely cushioned by whitespace).
> > >
> > To get what I think you want, I use combinations of #'bound-padding and
> > #'extra-offset. In your example I would decrease the #'bound-padding
> > (which, btw can take float values and values greater/smaller than -1
> > to 1) and use #'extra-offset = (-1.0 . 0.) to move the entire spanner to
> > the left. It's tricky and time consuming but works. In your example it
> > would work for the first spanner, I'm not sure about the second.
>
> Hi Henrik,
>
> Hm ... adding in #'extra-offset was my first instinct ... but while,
> say, #'(-1 . 0) moves the solid horizontal line to the left (which is
> good), it also moves the edge text to the left (which is bad, because
> it throws off the horizontal centering of the edge text underneath the
> notehead); see attached.
>
> Am I missing something? Is there some way to move the edge text "a"
> indepdently of the solid horizontal line?
>
> As another approach, Is there a way to shorten the X-extent of the
> spanner altogether?

Sorry, I replied too quickly. It's of course the #'enclose-bounds
property you should use in combination with #'extra-offset. So, in my
reply replace bound-padding with enclose-bounds... enclose-bounds makes
the line shorter AND moves the edge-text along with it. So after you've
made it shorter, you move the entire spanner.

> > > So the question is: "Is there a way to control left- and
> > > right-bound-padding independently?". I'd like to say something like
> > >
> > >   \override TextSpanner #'bound-padding-left = #1
> > >   \override TextSpanner #'bound-padding-right = #2
> >
> > I would love this!
>
> Maybe a possibility for sponsorship?

Sure!

/Henrik