Re: Orchestral score file organization

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Orchestral score file organization
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:52:14 -0700 (PDT)

It's really up to you.  In the end the goal is to separate music from
structure so that you can freely re-use your template files for subsequent
pieces without having to change or re-write the templates.  I tend to keep
all the music variable setting for all parts in a single file, then I make
an "outer file" that includes the music file then whatever template staffs I
want to score, so if I wanted a score of only the sax section (for a
sectional rehearsal) the file might look like this:  With the arrangement
below using high-level include files that organize lower level include
files, I can mizx and match my templates and paper sizes easily without
changing templates across songs, because all the song related variables are
in single by-song files.

Example1:

ItHadToBeYou_SaxSection.ly contains this...

\include CommonGlobalVariables.ly       % common variables
varBetweenSystemSpace = #10         % change based on paper size include
below
varSystemCount = #5                       % change based on paper size
include below
\include PaperLetterSize.ly                 % contains the paper block and
references spacing system count variables above
\include ItHadToBeYou.ly                  % this contains all the variables
for all the parts of this song, song title, composer, key, time, notes, etc
\include CommonHeader.ly                % contains header block and begins a
score block and begins a nested choir staff block
\include AltoSax1.ly                          % generic template for alto
sax and transposes for Eb
\include AltoSax2.ly                          % etc
\include TenorSax1.ly                       % etc
\include TenorSax2.ly                       % etc
\include BaritoneSax.ly                      % etc
\include CommonTrailer.ly                  % ends the choir staff block,
states the layout block, and ends the score block

Example2

If I want to score the Alto players part:

ItHadToBeYou_AltoSax1.ly contains this...

\include CommonGlobalVariables.ly       % common variables
varBetweenSystemSpace = #35         % change based on paper size include
below
varSystemCount = #5                       % change based on paper size
include below
\include PaperLetterSize.ly                 % contains the paper block and
references spacing system count variables above
\include ItHadToBeYou.ly                  % this contains all the variables
for all the parts of this song, song title, composer, key, time, notes, etc
\include CommonHeader.ly                % contains header block and begins a
score block and begins a nested choir staff block
\include AltoSax1.ly                          % generic template for alto
sax and transposes for Eb
\include CommonTrailer.ly                  % ends the choir staff block,
states the layout block, and ends the score block

This, I think is the one aspect of LilyPond that separates it from all the
other GUI based notation software out there, productivity and re-use
exponentiated!