Re: Minimum padding after barlines for notes with accidentals?

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Minimum padding after barlines for notes with accidentals?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:26:59 -0700 (PDT)

One of the suggested fixes was to adjust the BarLine space-alist "next-note"
entry to have a minimum-space of maybe 2.5.  I tried this and it fixes the
problem of accidentals touching the barline, but it makes notes that do not
have an accidental float too far from the bar line, it also breaks the
proper spacing of an arpeggio if that occurs first in the measure, and does
nothing to fix arpeggios or string numbers or other things attached to notes
on the left.  So that suggestion winds up breaking more than it fixes.

What is needed is a way for the barline itself to detect what is to the
right of itself and insert a minimum padding if it finds any object within
that minimum.  A solution like that will fix arpeggios, string numbers,
accidentals, etc. IOW all the things that when specified first in a measure,
touch the bar line.

Anyway here is a small test file that I've been trying to get to work using
only global settings, with no luck, notice how so many things touch the bar
line or come way too close to it.  I dred the tought of having to tweak
every measure of all the work I've done so far, so I'm really hoping there
is a global solution.

On a wet ink printer the accidentals do bleed into the barline although the
PDF does show some small spacing, but arpeggios and string numbers, etc
actually touch the bar.  In my example below note that there are no tweaks
in the notes themselves, my hope was for a solution that can be applied to
BarLine globally.

\version "2.9.17"
\include "english.ly"

\score {

{

   \new Staff \with {
           stringNumberOrientations = #'(left)
   }
   {
                \clef "treble"
                \key ef \major
                \time 1/4
                \relative c' {
            a'4

            <c\6>

            d,

            <g b d f>\arpeggio

            bf

   \layout {
         ragged-right = ##t
         ragged-last = ##t
           ragged-bottom = ##t
           ragged-last-bottom = ##t
                indent = 0.0\in
                \context { \Score
                  \override BarLine #'space-alist = #'(
                        (time-signature . (extra-space . 0.75))
                        (custos . (minimum-space . 2.0))
                        (clef . (minimum-space . 1.0))
                        (key-signature . (extra-space . 1.0))
                        (key-cancellation . (extra-space . 1.0))
                        (first-note . (fixed-space . 1.3))
                        (next-note . (semi-fixed-space . 1.3))
                        (right-edge . (extra-space . 0.0)))
                }
                \context { \Staff
                        \override StringNumber #'font-size = #-5

} % end main score