Re: \transpose weird staffs

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: \transpose weird staffs
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 23:44:39 +0200

Anthony Youngman wrote:
A point to bear in mind - and I had exactly this trouble when I first
started using lilypond ...

\transpose changes the pitch of the notes as internally represented
within lilypond. As such, I tend to think of it as a device for
inputting from and outputting to paper.

\transposition (as far as I can make out) is a midi construct, that
alters the pitch of sound output.

Even as I write this, it doesn't quite make sense to me, but bearing in
mind I do not use midi at all, and I originally tried to use
\transposition and was told to use \transpose instead ...

\transposition is intended to get automatic cue notes correct: those have to take into account the key of the playing instrument and the cued instrument.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com