Re: Swing Eighths Marking

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Swing Eighths Marking
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:55:08 -0500

Hello, all --

Since you're all talking about me, I thought I'd jump in here...  ;-)

Ian wrote:
it isn't the "quickest" solution.

Firstly, my goal wasn't to give David "the answer", because I don't think there *is* just a single one; my goal was to point him to the threads that deal with the issue he asked about, so that he could follow the leads/links and make up his own mind on the answer that best fits his specific situation, etc.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure I typed that list of instructions in less time than it would have taken me to go through multiple web pages, waiting out the load time in each case, copying and pasting the (multiple) potentially useful URLs, etc.

In other words, I thought at the time -- and, for the record, still believe now -- that my response *was* the quickest solution to the problem I was trying to solve. And since I was the one who actually responded to David's post, that's really the only relevant yardstick for that particular determination, regardless of how much anybody else debates it.

we didn't give him a URL did we.

Nope -- and I would (will) do the same thing again, all other things being equal! If someone asks a question that I think has a single answer, I'll give them that answer; otherwise, I'll give them the tools they can use to find the multiple answers, and then determine the one THEY think is best.

Do you understand the meaning of the word "condescending"?

D'uh, gee, I think so...
This whole response of yours... that was condescending, right?

Stewart responded with:
I think this whole discussion is becoming increasingly ridiculous

Agreed.

I'm sure that Kieren had no intention of being condescending

True. That being said, I *did* have that exact intention with my "D'uh, gee, I think so..." comment in *this* email! ;-)

Give a man food, and he can live for a week. Teach him to farm, and he can feed himself for a lifetime.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Best regards,
Kieren.