Re: Swing Eighths Marking

From: Ian Hawthorn
Subject: Re: Swing Eighths Marking
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:58:48 +1200

Markus Schneider wrote:
Have you ever considered that your question has
probably been already discussed, and that showing you the right
keyword for searching is the quickest solution.

No it isn't the "quickest" solution. the "quickest" solution would
have been to just give the guy a URL, as we see in another response
below.
... indeed it has and an almost "ready-to-use" example can be found here:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=20

But we didn't give him a URL did we. We gave him step by step
instructions on how to search an archive for a keyword. Even
though it was actually a lot more effort to write out those step
by step instructions that it would have been to paste a URL.
Do you understand the meaning of the word "condescending"?
People know when they are being talked down to.

An anecdote:

I teach for a living. The other day a university student (well - a
management student anyways) asked me in all honesty how
many zeroes there were in a million because they truly didn't
know. Hard to believe I know - but true. And an astounding
inditement of modern education I agree. I could have expressed
my astonishment loudly and vocally and made witty comments in
a "condescending"  (that word again) tone of voice. I could have
turned this into a joke for the rest of the class. But apart from
inflating my own ego and crushing the fragile ego of the student,
what would that have achieved? This student trusted me enough
to ask this question in the first place mostly because they knew
by then that I don't play those kind of games.

Think about it.