Re: Benefits of OS X binary vs. Fink version?

From: Henrik Frisk
Subject: Re: Benefits of OS X binary vs. Fink version?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:41:32 +0200

Benjamin Esham <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I use Mac OS X, and have Lilypond installed with Fink.  Recently,
> however, with the transition to Intel hardware, the latest version of
> Lilypond available there is 2.6.3.  (2.8.2 is listed, but does not
> compile for me.)  What are the advantages and disadvantages of
> downloading the official pre-built version and running that from
> the command line? Will that version recognize the relevant parts of
> the Fink installation, or does it provide all of its own stuff?
> Thanks for any guidance here.

I've noticed that the Fink version is lacking behind. Some time ago I
aproached the maintainer about this and, at the time, he said he thought
it wasn't usefule to maintain the Fink version of Lilypond as there was
a binary version available. I convinced him that there is a reason to
have keep the Fink version updated, but recently there hasn't been any
updates on the Fink version which has made me start using the
binaries. I would however personally prefer to use the Fink
version. However, from a user perspective there's no difference. The one
thing that gets to me is I don't (automatically) have access to the texinfo
docs with
the binary version.

The Lilypond binary doesn't reference any external libraries but comes
with everything it needs.

Perhaps aproaching the maintainer again will make him keep Lilypond up
to date?

Best,

/henrik