Adding a little horz. space between 2 bumping notes

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Adding a little horz. space between 2 bumping notes
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:11:17 -0700 (PDT)

I'm using 3 voice polyphony and I have a case where 2 notes in separate
voices were printing so close to each other that they were touching. (an r8
was going on in the other voice)  I used the following "kluge" to give them
a little separation.  Is there a better way I could have added some
"padding" to the right of the f note below?  Heres how I did it, I placed a
symbol that would print to the right of the note then made it transparent
(string number orientation set to right):

\once \override StringNumber #'transparent = ##t
<f,,\6>2 s2

In this case I used a the string number "\6", the code above is in a
separate voice than the note it's bumping into.  The transparent string
number nudges up the note stream nicely.

Is there a "correct" way to "nudge up" the note stream just a little when
needed?  I've typeset about 40 songs for my book to date but this is the
first time I've had this issue, so thats a pretty good track record.