Generating EPS with lilypond

From: Michel Goossens
Subject: Generating EPS with lilypond
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:50:40 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I am somewhat at a loss. I want to generate an Encapsulated PostScript
(EPS) file from an ly source. I therefore turn to the manual (v 2.8),
Section "Running LilyPond", --> 12.1 Invoking lilypond --> 12.1.1
Command line options.

And there I find that I can put --backend=eps, --ps so that I try:

lilypond --backend=eps --ps myfile.ly

This, indeed, generates myfile.eps (in fact I have myfile.eps
and myfile-1.eps), but both these files are invalid (ghostview gives
me an error message).

I can go the long way:

lilypond myfile.ly

This gives me myfile.pdf, which I can transform into eps with:
pdftops -eps myfile.pdf myfile.eps
The I acn use epstool to get the boundingbox correct, but this is rather
tedious and, moreover, lilypond (or the postprocessor) seems
to enter blank spaces at the bottom and the top of the page,
so that my two staves (wrongly) seem to cover the whole page.

In fact if, with the editor, I eliminate by hand the spaces (something
like ( ) show in the PostScript) I get the correct bounding box.

Therefore, what is the correct and direct way of generating EPS
from a lilypond source. Thanks for your help. m

--
Dr. Michel Goossens
Scientific Text Processing