Re: Output of 2.8.6 Windows version

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Output of 2.8.6 Windows version
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:19:23 +0200

Ossie Wilson wrote:

Thanks Mats for the very fast assistance.

1. I am using Windows 2000. I would like some packet of programs to be carried to my computer with XP ( not connected to
internet to avoid hassle of checking for all the spyware)
Just download the installation package from http://lilypond.org/web/install/
and save it to disk instead of running it directly. It's about 14MB in size.

2. GSView will print out .ps files (so the programmer says, anyway).
As I've already said, the PS files from LilyPond are kind of special, so it
is really recommended to view and print the PDF file instead (once you
get that one running).

3. This is the last part of the log produced by LilyPond.

        Layout output to `G:.ps'...
        Converting to `G:.pdf'...
        `gs -q   -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -sPAPERSIZE#"a4" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -
r1200  -sDEVICE#pdfwrite

-sOutputFile#"G:.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f "G:.ps"' failed (1)

Strange, it looks as if you have an empty file name. If your .ly file is called
myfile.ly, the log should say something like:

Layout output to `G:myfile.ps'...
Converting to `G:myfile.pdf'...

4. This is the path of one of the fonts as produced in the .ps file by LilyPond,

        G:/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/bin/../share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf

instead of the correct path as installed by the LilyPond installer

        G:/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/./share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf

That should be equivalent, since ../ means go up one level in the folder
hierarchy.

Possibly someone on the team could correct the appropriate installer.

5 I was speaking of version 1.9.8 which unfortunately I removed 2 weeks ago to install 2.8.6. It did produce pdf files
effortlessly.

6. I did alter the lily.scm as you suggested so that the fonts required are embedded in the .ps file. This does have the unfortunate
effect of adding nearly .5 Mb to a file's size

Yes, that's one reason it's not turned on by default.

but it did mean that I could print the .ps files with GSView. It also has the bonus effect, I hope, of making the .ps file portable to printed from any computer with GSView installed.
Right!

  /Mats