Re: Shortening ties

From: Michael J Millett
Subject: Re: Shortening ties
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:55:36 -0500

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Try
\override Tie #'details #'note-head-gap = #2.0

This worked!
\override Tie #'details #'note-head-gap = #13.0  < b,,  b,,, >4--~
 s4. a,,8\rest < b,, b,,, > } >>
 }

If I'm not mistaken, #'X-extent represents the horizontal space APPARENTLY taken up by an object, not the actual width of the object. It's more like a padding value than a size value.
. . .
\once \override NoteColumn #'X-extent = #'(0 . 20) c
However, it's important to realise that I haven't changed the physical (visual) width of the object itself -- I've only made Lilypond THINK the note is wider than it actually is, and therefore Lilypond leaves more room (padding) around it.

Make sense?
Best regards,
Kieren.

This makes perfect sense. Interestingly, when a tie is added, the tie is unaffected. It just gets longer to accommodate the extra space. So NoteColumn seems to affect only the space between noteheads, and not the space between the notehead and other objects such as a tie. Perhaps this means that TieColumn or Voice.TieColumn would affect the padding between ties, not between ties and the notehead. But I'm guessing.

[From Stuart}
Is that of any use? You can use LaissezVibrerTieColumn #'X-extent to lengthen them to your desired length.

For some reason, perhaps the reason above, I was not able to tap into this with either: \override LaissezVibrerTieColumn #'extra-Y-extent = #'(5.0 . 3.0) < b,, b,,, >4--\laissezVibrer
or
\override Voice.LaissezVibrerTieColumn #'extra-Y-extent = #'(5.0 . 3.0) < b,, b,,, >4--\laissezVibrer I have a note that somehow I managed a while back to increase the vertical padding of the LV tie, but not the horizontal padding.

(Unfortunately, this isn't documented. To find this setting, I had to
look into the source code. )

  /Mats

I really appreciate your time and efforts. We all do. Just letting you know that I am trying very hard to figure things out on my own.

For anyone interested, the excerpt in question was from Debussy: Ce qu'a vu le vent d'Ouest.

Michael