Re: Chord naming conventions (was: triangle chord notation)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Chord naming conventions (was: triangle chord notation)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:56:29 -0400

Hi, y'all:

We'll see who else jumps in here.

Thought I'd add my 2ยข, after lurking a while...

   C E Gb Bbb (or in G melodic minor: C E Gb A)
(In G melodic that would be written F#)

Here's my experience:

1. In analysis (i.e., the "classical" tradition), the chord is written out (enharmonically, etc.) according to its harmonic function. Usually, this means the resolution (i.e., the chord immediately following the chord being analysed) is a more important factor than the preparatory material (i.e., the chord immediately preceding the chord being analysed). However, in the case of an elision or pivot -- which is often the role played by a diminished chord, for example -- the specific analysis is either explicitly notated in both tonal centers, or the analyst chooses according to personal taste (mine generally being to analyse to the resolution).

2. In lead sheets (i.e., the "popular" tradition, including jazz), the chord is written out to make sight-reading easiest for the player.

Sevenths usually come in major, minor or diminished not flat or sharp even though we have flat or sharp 9ths.

Again, that's true in popular "analysis", but I've often seen (and used) flat and sharp sevenths in "classical" analysis.

Cheers,
Kieren.