Re: Chord naming conventions (was: triangle chord notation)

From: Andre Schnoor
Subject: Re: Chord naming conventions (was: triangle chord notation)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:41:29 +0200

Er, no. These are three distinctive chords:

Xdim         = 1, b3, b5
Xm.dim7    = 1, b3, b5, b7
Xdim7        = 1, 3, b5, b7

One may argue that "m.dim7" is a weird exception in that is uses that fancy dot. Alternatively "X(b5,b7)" would be more precise, but nobody uses that in practice. This chord, BTW, is used frequently in classical music. It is symmterical, such that, for example in 12TET tuning

    Cm.dim 7 = Ebm.dim7 = Gbm.dim7 = Am.dim7

In any case, this chord is important.

Andre

--

address@hidden wrote:
Looks good, but regarding the 1st two chords, I would go with

dim
dim7

C Eb Gb A  (Bbb)

instead of
 m.dim7

unless you are wanting to spell C Eb G A