Fingerings for piano chords with slurs

From: Michael J Millett
Subject: Fingerings for piano chords with slurs
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:35:37 -0500

\version "2.8.4"
mac 10.3.9

I see in the archives that there has been a lot of discussion about the placement of fingerings. But I didn't see a solution for what I am trying to do. I was wondering if anyone had found a solution.

I need to put the fingerings for all notes of the chord, above the staff, and inside the slur, stacked in a neat row. The problem, as is documented in the archives, is that, when a slur is involved, LP puts one or both of the fingerings way up. And the numbers can be quite far from one another, instead of stacked in a row like I need them.

In trying to move the placement with something like
\once \override Fingering #'extra-offset = #'(0.0 . -5.5)
or
\once \override Voice.Fingering #'padding =#3
the fingerings of the chord move together instead of separately, exasperating the problem. There does not seem to be a way of adjusting them individually. The wide distance between the numbers remains. Padding will not accept a negative number, which is what I would need. When fingerings are added below the note, padding still increases the distance from the notehead. There doesn't seem to be a way of decreasing the distance.

I tried using \markup, but without success. There is reference in the archives to \rows, though no reference in the manual. That might solve my problem. But I couldn't find a syntax that worked.

The only other solution I can think of is to enter fingerings as Lyrics, entered as verses so I get rows, change the font, and put the lyrics above the staff. But if I'm not mistaken, this will also put the fingerings outside the slurs instead of inside.

So, I was hoping someone had a solution to offer.

In case it matters, this is a piano method book written by someone else that I might be asked to typeset. So fingering placement would be vital.

Thanks,
Michael