Re: something strange with tuplets

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: something strange with tuplets
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:13:11 +0200

If you want to stick mathematically correct and show the fraction as 4:3,
then you could typeset it using 4 8th notes instead of 16th notes, i.e.
\times 3/4 {b8 c d e}
I don't remember from the top of my head what the common typesetting
practice is, but I guess it makes more sense to typeset 16th notes as you
do. As long as you keep the default tupletNumberFormatFunction, which
only prints a "4", I wouldn't have any problems to realize what you mean,
as a musician. However, as we have pointed out, the rhythmical relationship
is really 4:6, so I'm not sure that it would be correct to write a 4:3.
If you still are convinced that you want it, one trick would be to do
\times 3/4 {b16*2 c d e}

 /Mats

Adam Good wrote:

Markus and Mats,

Thank you both. it's working.

although now, only thing missing for me is the fraction shows " 4:6 " when I think it's very common practice to write " 4:3 "

i want to tell the musicians that this is "four against three"

--

\repeat volta 2 { \mark \default
\set tupletNumberFormatFunction = #fraction-tuplet-formatter

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology