Re: Question about lilypond-book and windows

From: tiM Sportny
Subject: Re: Question about lilypond-book and windows
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 10:48:10 +0000

Dear Mats,

Thank you so much for your support. Adding the directories in GSview did the job. Without those my pdf didn't look right either (using the ps2pdf package of MiKTeX itself). I can't wait to do my first projects!

Still i'd advice to make a readme file for Windows Installers with those additional instructions and put a link on the site to it where you can't miss it when you're about to install. In fact, I enthused two friends of mine a few weeks ago about lilypond. They gave up trying to get it work, and i'd say that's a shame. Don't worry, i'll wake them up again, but a can't wake all those people who gave up i don't know. I know i'm just a newb whose glad to know which letters of LaTeX should be capitalized, but - like J Lennon said - I'm not the only one.

greets and thanks again!

 tiM

In addition i'll respond to pending questions, but there's no need to read it.

tiM Sportny wrote:

Goto www.lilypond.org and click on Downloads to find packages for the latest stable version, 2.8.5. Where did you look? '

on http://www.lilypond.org/web/install/windows.nl.html

That's an ancient page, I hope it's not linked from anywhere else at
www.lilypond.org.

Not that i know, i got linked to there via the search option when i was trying to solve my problem.

I followed the exact procedures. And as suggested i needed to re-install.
The enclosed test.ly file on the page gives a fine result in pdf.
Opening the test.ps file in GSview gives the error:

[...]

And i think that this is the essence of my my lilypond-book problem. So it doesn't has directly to do with lilypond-book, cause it just passes on the corrupt eps files.

No, this is a completely normal problem with GSView on Windows, see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-07/msg00033.html

THANKS!!!!

[ ... ]
now... running lilypond-book under DOS command shell (twice) gives a .tex file that, when compiled, leaves the complete score out. (somehow in windows lilypond-book starts with shell output "GNU LilyPond 2.8.5" but lilypond itself "GNU LilyPond 2.6.4".

This is really strange. The LilyPond installer should add itself to the beginning of the PATH environment variable, but here it seems that your old LilyPond installation
appears even earlier in the PATH. What does
set PATH
return if you run it from a Windows command prompt?

The old directory isn't in there. At least, not anymore, i could well be that i mixed something up, in my head, or by fooling around trying to get it work.