LilyPond hangs at "parsing"

From: Palmer, Ralph
Subject: LilyPond hangs at "parsing"
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:18:02 -0400

Hi -

I'm running LilyPond 2.8.4.1 under Window XP SP2.

I recently switched from jEdit to ConTEXT (with the new LilyPond
highlighter). I had no problem for a few days; then suddenly yesterday
LilyPond started to hang. I can't get my files to complete. The only
global change I can remember making yesterday was to convert text from
DOS to Unicode. In order to find the source of the problem, I started
commenting out my music. I got all the way back to the first measure,
with no success. So, I tried a new file:

Snippet
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.8.4.1"
Music = {
      \clef treble
      \key c \major
      \time 4/4
      \tempo 4=112

        a'4 b'4 c'4 d'4

}

\score {
       \Music
       }

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
End Snippet

I typed all of it fresh - no copy and paste. When I run it, I get the
same message in the log, with no .ps or .pdf produced. Here's the log:

# -*-compilation-*-
Changing working directory to `C:/Documents and Settings/rpalmer/My
Documents/Ralph/Sheet Music/LilyPond/Classical/Deak/Lad a dog'
Processing `C:/Documents and Settings/rpalmer/My Documents/Ralph/Sheet
Music/LilyPond/Classical/Deak/Lad a dog/section test.ly'
Parsing...

I had an old file that was not converted to Unicode, and it compiled
correctly. Does this look familiar to anyone? I hope it doesn't mean I
have to retype all my music.

Thanks for your help,

Ralph
Ralph Palmer