Re: Getting LilyPond to wirk on Windows XP

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Getting LilyPond to wirk on Windows XP
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:00:06 -0700

Roger Hurst wrote:
I downloaded LilyPond 2.8.5 which I could not get to work. I tried downloading 2.9.12 last nite, which I had the same problems with. On both I tried to make the instruction file appear on the desktop by saving it as C:\Program Files\Welcome_to_LilyPond.ly. It did not appear on the desktop (which I assume is because it did not contain an icon).
An icon is never required for a file on the Desktop which is just an ordinary folder. MS Windows will just use some default icon.
Besides the LP icon on the desktop, an icon My11249.. appeared. I tried dragging & dropping this on the LP icon, but only another My11249.. appeared. I went into the HDD to scare up both LP & this Welcome.. file, & dragged & dropped it onto the LP file (but obviously not the desktop icon). An Adobe Reader PDF program was created, but I did not see any place where I could do any inputting on there. Should I get LP up & working, I would be more than glad to sponser LP to the tune of 25 Euros as I have hundreds of ragged manuscripts I would love to put on Data CD's.
Lilypond has no GUI interface. (Drag and drop won't work). It must be run from the command line. (Start/Run/cmd) It would take a lot more than 25 Euros to get a GUI interface written which I don't think the authors are willing to do.

There are some Lilypond-friendly editors like Jedit which are GUI-based.

OTOH some of us are willing to help you use Lilypond as it is. More information on running Lilypond on MS Windows can be found by searching the lilypond-user list archives.

HTH,

Paul Scott