Re: tetex 2.5 and lilypond 2.0

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: tetex 2.5 and lilypond 2.0
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:13:45 -0400

    Erik> By the way, there are plans to drop the old-lyric-combine
    Erik> compatibility altogether, so in order to upgrade to the next
    Erik> stable version, you'll have to rewrite all your old-style
    Erik> \addlyrics expressions manually.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure how this differs from what I have to do now.  Do
    >> you mean that in addition to breaking multi-verse upgrading,
    >> you're also planning to break single-verse upgrading?

    Erik> I think so. The command that used to be \addlyrics, and
    Erik> which now is known as \oldaddlyrics, will be
    Erik> removed. \lyricsto (and hte new \addlyrics) will be the only
    Erik> ways to align lyrics.

I suppose I should be reading the fine manual more, but I've never
figured out the difference between \oldaddlyrics and \addlyrics.  In
any case, my manual conversions use \addlyrics.

    >> Before that happens, could someone rewrite abc2ly to use
    >> something that convert-ly will know what to do with?  Or at
    >> least explain what that something would be?

    Erik> I don't know much about abc2ly, but it will have to produce
    Erik> \lyricsto expressions in order to work with 2.9.

OK, in abc, I might write:

X:1
T:Row, row, row your boat
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:C
  C3  C3  | C2  D    E3  |  E2   D   E2  F  |   G6 |
w:Row row row your boat, gen- tly down the stream
   c    c   c   G    G   G  |  E    E   E  C    C   C |
w: Mer- ri- ly, Mer- ri- ly, Mer- ri- ly Mer- ri- ly,
   G2  F E2   D | C6 |]
w:Life is but a dream.

abc2ly would have formerly (1.5.71) written a score for that as:

\score{
\notes <

\addlyrics
\context Staff="default"
{
\voicedefault
}

\context Lyrics="default"
<
{ \wordsdefaultVA }

}

and now writes:

\score{
         <<

        \context Staff="default"
        {
            \voicedefault
        }

        \addlyrics {
 \wordsdefaultVA }

}

Which looks pretty similar to me.  So if something major is going to
change about how addlyrics works, someone (I'm willing to be the
someone if I'm in the loop) should make sure that abc2ly can convert
"Row, row, row your boat".

Now the reason I'm grumpy about this, is that if we have a two verse
song:

X:1
T:Row, row, row your boat
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:C
  C3  C3  | C2  D    E3  |  E2   D   E2  F  |   G6 |
w:Row row row your boat, gen- tly down the stream
w:Bat, bat, bat your ball, fierce- ly o'er the fence,
   c    c   c   G    G   G  |  E    E   E  C    C   C |
w: Mer- ri- ly, Mer- ri- ly, Mer- ri- ly Mer- ri- ly,
   G2  F E2   D | C6 |]
w:Life is but a dream.

The old abc2ly would have said:

\score{
        \notes <<

        \addlyrics
        \context Staff="default"
        {
            \voicedefault
        }

        \context Lyrics="default"
        <<
          { \wordsdefaultVA }
          { \wordsdefaultVB }

}

And the new one says:

\score{
         <<

        \context Staff="default"
        {
            \voicedefault
        }

        \addlyrics {
 \wordsdefaultVA }
        \addlyrics {
 \wordsdefaultVB }

}

I've never seen why convert-ly wouldn't be able to write that from the
old output of abc2ly, but instead it writes:

\score{
         <<

        \oldaddlyrics
        \context Staff="default"
        {
            \voicedefault
        }

        \context Lyrics="default"
        <<
          { \wordsdefaultVA }
          { \wordsdefaultVB }

}

Which doesn't work, and leaves the second verse out.

Now I have been hand-converting my multi-verse songs by using
something like the new output of abc2ly.  I hope that's going to go on
working.  If not, abc2ly should stop using it, of course. And it would
be good if convert-ly could handle it better than it handled the
conversion between 2.x and 2.6 where it broke all multi-verse lyrics
that I know anything about.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139