Re: Evolutionary User Strategery

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Evolutionary User Strategery
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 11:51:53 -0400

Hi, Bruce:
Users dealing with LilyPond as it evolves are presented with difficult choices, none good.
Well, "none good" might be a bit harsh...  ;-)
But your point is well taken.
If you can identify a better way, or have other comments, please respond.
Always keep your note code (i.e., content) separate from your score and tweak code (i.e., presentation) -- basic note code syntax has been (IMO) fairly stable over the last several versions, with the chord/simultaneous-music swap (i.e., <> swapped with <<>>) being the last major one I can remember.

I have experienced acceptably smooth migrations since about v2.1; when things got rough(er) it was almost always because I hadn't abstracted my code sufficiently.

That being said, it's not exactly super-easy to write good, well- abstracted Lilypond code -- it takes patience and planning. What would be amazing (though, I think, impossible) would be the ability to apply tweaks, etc., without requiring all the skips to "locate" ("anchor") them.

Don't know if any of that helps, but it's a good thread, and I wanted to put in my $0.02 (Canadian).

Cheers,
Kieren.