Re: Vertical Spacing Not Working

From: Will Oram
Subject: Re: Vertical Spacing Not Working
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:43:50 -0400

I suppose my question could have been improved. I should have brought in the unprofessionalism of white space sooner. But 'leaving half the page blank' was a good hint what I was thinking. I'll stop before we spend the thread identifying the specific quantity of confusion I caused. :)

Your Lully demonstration of two-pass spacing is beautiful. I think arranging this for my project -- with proper credit given to you, naturally -- can be done. However, this brings up a subquestion...

...Following the release of the OS X GUI I haven't had to use command line lilypond as explained http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/ user/lilypond/Notes-for-the-MacOS-X-app.html#Notes-for-the-MacOS-X- app . I was rather startled to execute /Contents/Resources/bin/ lilypond and /lilypond-book and see Terminal-based 2.6.4 sitting inside the 2.8.5 GUI. I see no 2.8.5 Terminal version anywhere within /Contents. Huh?\

Will

Will Oram <address@hidden> writes:

> It's technically what he said. The space between staves is definitely
> at a minimum. But all the space removed from these spots is just
> shoved to the bottom. The problem has not changed -- the glaring
> emptiness is just on a different area of the page. Page 1 of my
> current score has 7 to 9 cm of nothingness. It looks very
> unprofessional for a multipage score.
>
> What I seek is dispersing white space between system staves. A system
> should take up as much of its alotted division as is practical. Look
> at a published full orchestra score. In most cases there is a single
> system per page, and it extends from top to bottom.

Then write more carefully your spec in your question the next time, we
will both gain time.
Read The Fine Manual: 11.3.4 Controlling spacing of individual systems
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/ Controlling-spacing-of-individual-systems.html>

Search this mailing list for "two-pass spacing".

I explore the moon
for wild monkeys
but find only squirrels
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #7)