More Figured Bass Improvements... (potential sponsorship)

From: Trent Johnston
Subject: More Figured Bass Improvements... (potential sponsorship)
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 16:21:52 +1000

Hi Han-Wen and Lilyponders,

I am looking at the potential to sponsor more changes to the figured bass
system. While the figured bass system is comphrehensive and looks good it's
placement within a score that needs adjusting. There is often a wide a gap
between the staff and the figures when using the current system (the case
whether the figures are placed below or above the staff). I guess this is
the mixture of both the minimum-Y-extent of the bass staff and the figured
bass line.

What I'm looking at sponsoring is changing the figured bass system so that
the figures are closer to the notes. That instead of placing the figures in
one line aligned above the highest note or lowest note that the figures will
change height according to the notes in the score. i.e. figures are placed
closer to the bass part and their heights change on a note by note basis. I
know Nicholas Sceaux has an alternative figured-bass scheme that positions a
figure in relation to the note that it is associated with. While this is a
good alternative it doesn't have the extender lines of the new system.

Could the two system be possibly put together?

Or maybe way where the figures are placed close to the top line or bottom
line depending on which way there user wants and the user can define padding
for the individual or groups of figures that need to changed?

Ideally the second option would be good as this would give the user more
control over the system.

I've included an example image.. taken from the Neue Ausgabe sämtlicher
Werke: Bärenreiter illustrating this.

Also I was looking at making the numbers 10 / 11 / 12  as one symbol. This
would make the numbers as in:

10
5
3

centred in the group rather than left aligned.

Thanks

Trent Johnston