Re: clef transposition: tenor -> bass

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: clef transposition: tenor -> bass
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 12:51:38 +0000

At 02:27 PM 5/18/2006 +0200, Roman wrote:
>Paul Scott schrieb:
>
>> staffTrombone = {
>>   \key c \major
>>   \clef bass        % formerly \clef tenor
>>   \relative c {
>>       \time 3/4
>>       c c c
>>   } }
>>

>> That's all there is to it.  Those C's will appear on the second space of
>> the bass clef instead of just below the tenor staff.  You have already
>> specified three C's one octave below middle C.  Lilypond will put in the
>> right place for whatever clef you choose.
>
>Okay, but my problem is, that a C in tenor clef isn't a C in bass clef
>and I don't know how a transposition between them needs to be!?

A C is a C.  How it looks on the staff depends on the clef.  LilyPond will
put it in the right place for you.  If you have indicated the correct pitch
and octave all you need to do is tell LilyPond which clef to use.

>I know the \transpose-Command of Lilypond but how do I apply it to
>transpositions between tenor and bass clef? Both clefs are located on
>the 4th line. In bass clef this is the "f"-line, but what's it in tenor
>clef?

The "f" line is the 4th line in bass clef.  In tenor clef the 4th line is
middle C.  But, changing clefs has *nothing* to do with transposition.
Transposition would result in a different pitch being printed.

Mats is correct when he says trombones read sounding pitch.  This is true
when trombones are reading bass, tenor and alto clefs.

David Bobroff