Codas, Segnos, and bar number documentation

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Codas, Segnos, and bar number documentation
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 23:48:54 +0100

As before, 2.6.4 lily (latest cygwin) and 2.8 docu ...

Looking at the manual, codas and segnos are under "Articulation", symbols that modify notes. Fine, except to me this seems completely wrong - they should be over bar-lines and modify the flow of music - they're like the ":" that means "repeat this section"!

So I found the bit that said how to put a coda over the bar line, and it had a load of scheme code about fermatas, and a note to "use \markup to access the appropriate symbol". It would be nice if it told you where to find the appropriate symbol, seeing as there doesn't seem to be a match between the names... I know I'm using a mismatch of prog/docu, but I'll have a look at the correct docu tomorrow, and the docu wasn't that helpful, seeing as it neither told me what I needed to know, nor where to look, despite the index telling me exactly what I was looking for and pointing me there...

One last little point on the docu. In section 8.2.4 it tells you how to manually typeset barnumbers with the help of a load of scheme code. Isn't that now redundant? The previous section tells you how to use a bar-number as a rehearsal mark, which looks like it's exactly the same thing. I guess the scheme code is left over from versions of the docu before bar-number rehearsal-marks were added.

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.