Re: Musical notation of guitar chords.

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Musical notation of guitar chords.
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 14:50:11 -0700 (PDT)

I assign my fret markup to variables like this:

frIFDomSevFltNinI = \markup { \center-align {
\line { F \super \line { 7 \raise #0.5 \flat 9 } }
\fret-diagram-terse #"2;x;1;2;1;x;"
 } }

frICI = \markup { \center-align {
\line { C \super \line {  } }
\fret-diagram-terse #"x;3;2;o;1;o;"
 } }

frIIDDimSevIII = \markup { \center-align {
\line { D \super \line { dim7 } }
\fret-diagram-terse #"x;x;3;4;3;4;"
 } }

etc...

And I keep them all in a separate \include file.

Then I simply re-state those variables in a Lyrics Staff above the music
Staff with the duration number behind the variable names.  By using an
\include file I can get some re-useablity of my fret board markups, and over
time build up a chord library.

Here is an example of an arrangement I did that uses this technique:

http://www.windcrestsoftware.com/Rick/DannyBoy.pdf

For the markup shown above make sure the Lyric Text context sets the word
spacing to a small value like .1 otherwise the letters will be too spread
out.

LyricText #'word-space=0.1