Kile and Lilypond-Book Howto

From: Josiah Boothby
Subject: Kile and Lilypond-Book Howto
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 21:23:43 -0700

On 5/1/06, Lothar Schmid <address@hidden> wrote:
> ... For lilypond-book projects, I
> have set Kile up to make things easy. ...

 How did you set up Kile? I tried to configure it to produce output with
lilypond, but gave up after two hours in frustration. A small Howto would be
really great!

Go to Settings -> Configure Kile... -> Build

There are two build tools you will have to modify, LaTeX and DVItoPS,
and two that you will have to create. It is worth noting that this
will be set up so that your lilypond-book files will use the extension
.lytex rather than .tex. Among other things, this will protect your
source file from being overwritten in the compile process.

First select LaTeX and click on the button that says "New Config...".
Name it lilypond-book. In the text box for Options:, enter:

%S.tex

go to the Advanced tab, make sure that the Type is "Run Outside of
Kile", the Class is "LaTeX", the target extension is dvi.

Next, select DVItoPS and click on the button that says "New Config..."
and name it lilypond-book. Change the options to:

-o -h '%S.psfonts' -Ppdf '%S.dvi'

Go to the Advanced tab, make sure that the Type is "Run Outside of
Kile", the Class is "Convert", the source extension is "dvi", the
target extension is "psfonts".

So far, in both of these examples, I have left some defaults alone. If
this is unclear, I can elaborate. In any event, next we have to create
a couple tools. So click on the button "New Tool..." and when prompted
for a name, call it "Lilypond-Book". The next window that comes up
asks about default behavior. Choose LaTeX or something similar.

Click on the "New Config..." button, and call it lilypond-book. For
command, enter "lilypond-book", and for options:

--psfonts '%S.lytex'

Go to the advanced tab. Type: "Run Outside of Kile", Class: "Compile",
Source Extension: "lytex".

Now to create the final tool to put it all together. Click on the "New
Tool..." button, name this something like QuickLilypondBook, and at
the Behavior screen, select QuickBuild. Check the Advanced tab to make
sure that the Type is "Run Sequence of Tools" and Class is "Sequence".

Under the General tab, click on the box next to Tool: to select
Lilypond-Book, then for Configuration: select lilypond-book, and then
click on Add. You should now see that "Lilypond-Book (lilypond-book)"
has been added to the list.

Again, for Tool: select LaTeX, and for Configuration: select
lilypond-book, then click on Add. You should see "LaTeX
(lilypond-book)" added to the list.

Since by now you probably get the process, I will revert to shorthand.
Tool: DVItoPS, Configuration: lilypond-book, Add. Tool: PStoPDF, Add.
Tool: ViewPDF, Add. Note that there is no need to change the
configuration for PStoPDF or ViewPDF.

Also note that if you don't care to convert the PS to PDF, you can
omit this step and add ViewPS instead.

Go to the Menu. Add tool to Build menu: Quick. Change the icon if you
like, and click on OK. Go to

Settings -> Configure Toolbars...

select the "Build" toolbar, and under Available Actions, scroll down
until you find QuickLilypondBook, select and drag over to Current
Actions next to QuickBuild. Click the OK button.

Test. Remember that QuickLilypondBook is expecting a .lytex file. If
it doesn't work, please ask.

Josiah