Re: Example of two-pass vertical spacing tweaking

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Example of two-pass vertical spacing tweaking
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:05:57 +0200

"Trent Johnston" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Nicolas and Lilypond-Users,
>
> Thanks for the example of two-pass vertical spacing tweak. I've started to
> put together Handel's Agrippina and thought that this would improve the
> layout of the score.

Agrippina, cool!

Since the time I've made the post you're refereing to, I've made some
further experiments with two-pass tweaking. You can take a look at:
<http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/lully/> where you will find a
lully.tar.gz tarball containing the lily source code of a couple of
pieces by Lully. The code is not very well documented, but in
common/functions.ily you should find the tweaking functions, how tweaks
are included, etc. You can look at the results (the PDFs in the same
directory): they are still perfectible, but nice.

Beware, I use a custom page breaking scheme (a naïve one, but which
looks much better with the kind of book I'm typesetting, with lots of
text). So the functions generating the page layout files are also
customized, and the tweaking music function is adapted to those
customized page layout files.

> I've managed to use the example as is and this works although it does crash
> lilypond not before the PDF file is written so everything is fine
> there.

I get the crash too, but I didn't find out why.

> But
> when I try to adapt this for a larger series of scores if fails with a
> 'Stack Overflow Error'. I've tested this on Lilypond 2.9.2 under both
> Windows and Linux.

With the Lully code, I compile books containing ~50 scores, without
stack overflow. There was a problem in the code I posted here
obviously. If you can't get through the Lully code and adapt it to your
needs, please ask here so that I should help you.

Using the same scheme for Giulio Cesare is also on my TODO list (I first
started to manually tweak each system height and padding... hm how much
time I've lost, scary).

nicolas