Re: Chordmode Needs Work

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Chordmode Needs Work
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:38:37 -0700 (PDT)

As a jazz player I'm finding that I like the chord names in lp, BUT I have
found that you have to use note entry in a ChordNames context, and give up
trying to enter the names with text.  So to get a dominant seventh chord
with a sharped 9th, name, enter the notes (assuming english.ly) <c e g bf
ds'>, this will render the name you are asking for.  I created my own .ly
include file of all the chords plus ones that are unique to me and all the
generated names have been acceptable.  Also transposition is a breeze with
notes.  And now I find working with note clusters instead of names is
working out better musician-ship-wise.  I was glad to see that the lp chord
names do NOT misuse the + symbol as many other programs mistakenly use that
to apply a maj 7 instead of dominant 7, I believe + should only be used to
designate augmented 5th, but some programs erroneously use it to override a
dom 7.  The whole world of fake book chord naming is so un-standardized and
hog-wild that I think adopting the Itzhack(sp) chords are worthwhile.

At some point I will post my chording templates which are working well for
me, after I extend the guitar fretboards to recognize \tranpose.
(Unfortunately I only know Visual Basic so my fretboard transpose routine
will only work on Windows.)

Rick