Re: Helping with the documentation

From: lilypond_user
Subject: Re: Helping with the documentation
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 15:31:29 -0700

Hi all,

My first post, sorry if I haven't lurked long enough to learn any posting
protocols.  If it matters, I'm an OS X user...

[quote]
One of the reasons that earlier wiki's weren't a big success could be that
people do not want another place to look for documentation. Therefore the best
solution (in my opinion) is to replace the current docs with a wiki. I think
the way the documentation is done now is a little bit oldfashioned.
[/quote]

What about people like me who write music on a computer that is NOT attached to
the Internet?

I personally like a two-pronged approach - I prefer core documentation (the
"reference manual") to be in the form of a local pdf file that I can either
view or print as needed.  I think that core documentation should be a mirror of
what is available on the web site, with each document assigned a revision
number and a date, preferably matching major software revisions.  The second
"prong" of my approach would be to have some kind of less formal web-based
information (the "user guide"?) with tips and tricks, FAQs, and/or lessons...

Doug