Re: Helping with the documentation

From: Bart Kummel
Subject: Re: Helping with the documentation
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:20:04 +0200

Hi Graham,

What I'm missing currently in the docs is a section about organ music. There are some instrument-specific things that can be discussed in such a section. I'm willing to help with that, but I have very little spare time.

So I was thinking of a method to make contibuting to the docs more easy. Perhaps it's a good idea to set up a wiki for the docs. I believe there is a lilypond plugin for wikis, to make it easy to post comments and their results. We could start by only adding some new topics and then gradually move more and more topics from the old docs to the wiki. After some time we end up with the full documentation in a wiki. Since wikis have a versioning system built in, we could use that to keep info for older versions of Lily available.

I think there are many benefits for using a wiki instead of the way the documentation is done now. I think it's more easy for the editor, because he doesn't have to add all contibutions manually, he only has to edit them. Another benefit is that we don't have to wait until a new version of Lilypond is built for new documentation to come available on-line. A third benefit is that the documentation does not depend on one or a few persons any more.

I hope you want to consider my suggestions. As I said, I don't have much time, but I'm willing to help in the few moments I have. I have some experience with setting up a wiki. And for the documentation itself: I play the organ as an amateur, so I know a low about organ and also choral music notation.

Best regards,
Bart Kummel, Hilversum, The Netherlands