Re: Newbie, Some quick chord questions?

From: Dave K.
Subject: Re: Newbie, Some quick chord questions?
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:33:37 -0400

I have similar issues with the Lilypond chord notating system, but
they're not going to fix this so you'll have to set your own
exceptions.

You are right, both the standard and alternative chord naming schemes
in Lilypond are just weird. I've never seen any chord names notated
like that in any real book I've seen. I have no idea where they got
them from. But it's the system they chose and they're not going to
change it.

Another thing that's messed up about the chord mode is that Lilypond
typesets chords above text markup, alternative repeats, etc. This is
incorrect style. In jazz the chord notation should be typeset BELOW
markup and any other scripts - it's supposed to go right above the
notes.

The problem is that the authors of Lilypond are classically trained,
and so Lilypond does not have many basic features you would expect
from typesetting modern music like jazz/rock. There are ugly hacks and
workarounds for many of these problems, but they are unlikely to get
fixed.