Re: moving rest vertically

From: Stan Sanderson
Subject: Re: moving rest vertically
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 14:52:51 -0600

On Feb 27, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Orm Finnendahl wrote:

Hi,

 trying to input my first complete piece with lilypond (Bach's Prelude
#20 from the WTC I), I stumbled across a rather trivial problem: A
32nd rest in a polyphonic 2nd voice collides with a note in the first
voice. Can someone give me a hint how to move that rest down by 1 or 2
staff lines? I couldn't find it in the documentation.

It is sufficient to tell me the "\once \override ..." expression for
the vertical displacement of a rest.

Maybe it would be a good idea to include it in the documetation (if
not already present).

--
See Sect 6.1.6 of the latest manual:

A rest’s vertical position may be explicitly specified by entering a note with the \rest keyword appended, the rest will be placed at the note’s place. This makes manual formatting in polyphonic music easier. Automatic rest collision formatting will leave these rests alone
a’4\rest d’4\rest

I have found this very useful in tweaking rest positions.

Stan