Re: lilypond and LaTeX. Music glyph in a sentence.

From: ezebirman
Subject: Re: lilypond and LaTeX. Music glyph in a sentence.
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 20:41:23 -0300

Erik Sandberg <address@hidden> writes:

> On Monday 27 February 2006 20.26, address@hidden wrote:
>> Dear fellows:
>> I'm working on an essay where a sentence like the following is needed
>>
>> > The first segment has a duration of 110 <dotted quarter> and blah,
>> > blah...
>>
>> where <dotted quarter> should be replaced by the musical glyph.
>>
>> 1) Is there a way to achieve this?
>
> Use lilypond --preview on the following:
>
> \layout {
> \context {
> \Staff
> \remove Staff_symbol_engraver
> \remove Clef_engraver
> \remove Time_signature_engraver
> }
> }
> {c''4.}
>
> You need to crop the resulting EPS file before including it in your
> document; this is a bit problematic due to bugs in ghostscript.
>
> --
> Erik

Thank you Erik.  I only changed c''4 to c'4 to have the stem up. Then
replaced the bounding box of the original EPS file to: %%BoundingBox:
127 -37 138 -16.8

I arrived at the values by trial an error though surely there must be
a better way. Also had to delete the point-and-click comments for
GhostScript to work.

This is the LaTeX code: \includegraphics[scale=0.5]{file.eps}

which seems more or less ok with Latin Modern fonts at 12pt, but
perhaps someone has a better idea on 1) how to find the right scaling
(eg. make the stem lenght equal to the height of a certain character
like, say, 'l'?) and 2) how to handle (or even automatize) the kerning
between the note glyph and the text.

--
Ezequiel Birman.