Re: [somewhat-OT] tweaking Lilypond PS/PDF output in (e.g.) Illustrator

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: [somewhat-OT] tweaking Lilypond PS/PDF output in (e.g.) Illustrator
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:17:50 +0100

Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:
[Mac OS X 10.4.4 ; Lilypond Version 2.7.35-1 (Build from 30-12-2005 19:17) ]

Hello, all!

On many (especially time-sensitive) projects, I prefer to do my fine tweaks in Illustrator -- I find that fast tweaking directly in Lilypond is essentially impossible, given the multiple-try-and- compile-cycle process required for almost every tweak. [Fortunately, the basic Lilypond output is so great that the tweaks are minor and can be done quite quickly in Illustrator.]

Unfortunately, it's no simple job to get Illustrator to recognize my Lilypond output as "clean" PostScript! [Likely this is an Adobe problem, not you guys -- however, I'm stuck trying to find a workaround

actually, that's unlikely, given that Adobe defined the PostScript standard.

On single-page scores, I can use ps2ps to convert, and that seems to leave a useable file (i.e., Illustrator reads it). However, on multi- page scores, it only reads the first page. If I pull an arbitrary page directly from the PDF output, all of the non-note font information goes kablooey, so I have to reenter all scripts, etc., which is far too time-consuming in many cases.

What do you mean by "non-note" ?

You can get multiple EPSes with fonts by doing

  lilypond -b eps -deps-font-include file.ly

(then file.ly should not have a \book block, but rather \scores at toplevel)

If you're really interested in getting good tweakable output, I recommend looking at Inkscape, which is also available for MacOS X, and using SVG output. Unfortunately, Inkscape doesn't support multipage documents yet.