Re: [somewhat-OT] tweaking Lilypond PS/PDF output in (e.g.) Illustrator

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: [somewhat-OT] tweaking Lilypond PS/PDF output in (e.g.) Illustrator
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:04:43 -0500

Hi, Eduardo:

Thanks for your comments!

I had to choose the option of importing text as vector, not as text,
for if I tryied otherwise all the music glyphs that are fonts would be
displayed. I don't know if Illustrator gives you the option of importing text as vector. I really don't see much, if any, loss of quality by doing that.

There isn't an option (that I can see) -- Illustrator just does it anyway. And, yes, even though on the *screen* the text appears jagged, the printed page seems as high-resolution as anything I type in Illustrator directly (i.e., vector fonts), so that's not a concern. However, it is somewhat curious...!

Now, recent versions ( 2.7.x?), Corel couldn't open at all. Too bad

I have noticed that there are differences in how Illustrator handles 2.7.x files versus older versions, but haven't yet had the time to characterize exactly what's going on... I imagine it's a result of the changes in the way Lilypond generates its PS code.

Since my last post, I did use FontBook (built into Mac OS X) to import the Emmentaler and Aybabtu fonts, but: 1. FontBook says that the CenturySch-* fonts are unusable (OTF information missing!).
2. I can't get FontBook to recognize the Feta .pfa fonts at all.

Right now I'm hunting around the net to see if I can find good conversion utilities -- if I find anything, I'll post. If anyone else has other suggestions, I (and Eduardo, I'm sure) would love to hear them!

Thanks,
Kieren.