Re: Italian/Spanish: multiple vowels on one note

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Italian/Spanish: multiple vowels on one note
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 01:54:17 -0800

On 1-Feb-2006, at 8:06 PM, cordilow (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

Hello,

I've been searching for a way to represent what looks like an upside down breve, and also what looks like a breve spaced as low as an underscore.

Anyway, I have music I want to notate, in Italian and Spanish, that uses these characters (the first for Italian, the second for Spanish). They use them to show that two different words, or syllables from words, are to be associated with the same note (basically, you just sing them both quickly). I've been using a miniature circumflex for this, and sometimes a breve, but I want to use the actually characters. Is there a way to add these in Lilypond? I ask because I haven't found such characters in the unicode character set. Is there a font I can use that has them?

This is what a breve looks like: ˘

Here's the circumflex character I've been using: ˆ (it's smaller than ^)

I would like a breve spaced as low, or lower, than an underscore (i.e. _), and preferably one that looks like it's trying to connect the two sounds.

Unicode 203F and 2040, Undertie and Overtie, look to me like the characters in question. On Mac OS X, Lucida Grande has them. I don't know what other fonts they might be in, and I haven't tried to use the characters in lyrics yet.

David